Pages

17 October 2009

Visiting Porvoo

We walk around in Old Porvoo shopping and taking pictures at least once every summer, but seldom during other times of the year. We went to my parents today and I decided it was time to get some autumn pictures too. This is the Cathedral.

Porvoo got its name from Borgå in Swedish, which means the fortress by the river (borg = fortress, å = river). The fortress no longer exists.

The red sheds by the river were used for storage when fruits, wine, spices, coffee and tobacco were brought by boat to Porvoo.

This is the Old Town Hall, which is a museum today, and the sheds.

This is my mother's orchid. It's so beautiful! I couldn't resist taking some pictures of it too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I will return your visit (if I haven't visited you already), but please be patient. I might not be able to do so until the weekend. Take care!